This last week has been a tiring week full of trials and blessings.
It all started Wednesday when Cache woke up from his nap with a fever. I blew it off figuring it was from the two new teeth he is working on. However, as Thursday rolled around he was still burning up. Fast forward to Saturday, still a dang fever without any other symptoms besides extremely cranky and clingy. I normally let a fever burn a little bit if my kids are acting okay, but Cache was so uncomfortable and miserable that I was dosing him up every 4-6 hours. He was fine while the meds were working but as soon as they wore off he was back to sick sick sick. We took him to the doctor Saturday and they found absolutely nothing wrong with him, which worried both the doctor and me. A fever is normally an indication of an infection, and without an obvious answer, it made for worry and questions about the next step.
During all of this, I had to prepare my lesson for my new calling- Gospel Doctrine Teacher. I know, you're jealous. As if speaking in church last week wasn't enough. I had to keep up on laundry, housework and the day to day endeavors of a stay at home mom. We had virtually zero food in the home so a trip to the grocery store was needed. The two boys needed attention and chauffeuring to various activities. Not that it was too much to handle, but a sick baby made it so exhausting. And I was also wracked with worried the whole time too. I was just praying the week would end soon so I could get some back up from my husband.
So enough about the trials, I had a lot of blessings too. Preparing my lesson gave me time each day to sit down and ponder and study the gospel. I prayed about it daily and learned more from the lesson and spirit of Elijah then I am sure I taught. We constantly were praying for Cache to get better. The boys prayed for him at every prayer both family and personal. Scott gave him a blessing and I was in constant communication with my Heavenly Father in behalf of my sick child.
I hate that I am most prompted to pray and trust in the Lord when I am in trouble or need help. I need to be more grateful when things are good. But the spirit was so strong in my house this week. I knew that because of our prayers and the faith of my sweet boys that our home was being blessed and watched over and protected. Every time I prayed about Cache I had a feeling of peace and feeling that everything was going to be okay. It was hard to trust in that because the fever kept burning and burning and we had idea why. But I did my best to hold strong to my truth and let the other 'what ifs' out the door.
So Monday came around and after 6 days of raging fever, we took him back to the doctor. Luckily I was able to see my new favorite doctor and really sit down with her and discuss possibilities. She wanted to check for a UTI which meant he needed a catheter so his urine could be tested. Let me tell you how unpleasant it is to hold down your screaming one year old while they run 8 inches of tubing up his pee pee. Its really unpleasant. Actually, awful. His eyes begged me to make them stop and his screams were heart wrenching.
After that was finished Candice, the doc, gave him a booster antibiotic shot to kick start his immune system if they found a bacterial infection. I thought the shot would be like a regular immunization, nope, I was wrong. The needle was much bigger and because it was a hand mixed shot it was so thick. No exaggeration--it took 7 seconds for them to push the liquid into his body. More screaming and more pleading eyes. My heart was about to fall out of my chest.
We left the doctor and headed to the hospital to get his blood work done. At that point they were looking for a bacterial infection, a viral infection, a blood infection and also cancer. Hoping to rule the serious stuff out. It took 3 people to hold him down, me included, so the phlebotomist could draw three viles of blood. It took every ounce of power I had to not rip him away and take him home so nobody else could hurt him. But I knew what had to be done and I did it.
The morning had been way longer than I anticipated and I was as mentally exhausted as Cache was physically. I prayed the whole way to my car to keep my son safe and the closer I got to my car the more and more my eyes welled with tears. I just wanted to make it to my car and have a good cry. I was about 50 feet from my car when a lady pulled over and asked if I was okay. That did it and I could not stop the tears from coming. She proceeded to tell me she didn't believe in coincidences and knew she was driving by me at that exact moment because she had something to tell me. She was in the lab as Cache screamed while they took his blood. She had to walk out of the room because it was too much for her to bare. She said she could feel his pain and the strength of his mother, because she has had to do it too. She told me she was a Christian and was prompted to tell me that God was aware of me and my situation and was holding our family in his hands. This trial would pass and she asked for permission to put his name on her prayer roll. I cried and cried and thanked her telling her she was the answer to my prayer that day. We don't share the same religion, but we share the same God and she was a good God fearing women and her words gave me more comfort that she will ever know.
We got the results back yesterday. His blood work is a little conflicting, but all in all good. He has a major virus. Normal levels should be around a 10 and his is almost doubled with a plus 17. His bacterial levels are also a little elevated, but nothing to worry about now. His blood count was normal which ruled out the blood infection or cancer. Best news of my life. And most of all, when I told my boys that Cachee was going to be okay, Taydens reply was, "Yeah, because we said lots of prayer and Heavenly Father heard us." His fever finally broke yesterday and know we are on the road to recovery. Fingers crossed.
In the midst of trial and heartache, I know that Heavenly Father is our pillar of strength and will not forsake us. I know that when we pray, he hears us. My relationship with him grew this week. It was a hard week, but feeling closer to my Savior and Father in Heaven made it worth it.
2 comments:
I'm so so glad Cache is ok. He is lucky to have a strong mama like you. And what a beautiful story about the woman in the parking lot. It is amazing how Heavenly Father answers our prayers.
I cant imagine how your testimony must have grown this week. Just reading your post has made my heart swell. Im so glad that everything is all right with Cache!
Post a Comment