Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Phone Call

Wow. What a crazy week. So many things I want to talk about and blog about. We're officially in our new house, my in-laws are here and Scott's paperwork for work finally came through -- but those will have to wait for another day. Today, its all about the phone call I got from my doctor.

I had an ultrasound yesterday that revealed our newest little boy. I have known I was pregnant for awhile, but we kept it secret for some time. We wanted to make the big announcement when we found out the sex of the babe. We saw that little baby on the TV monitor and my whole world seemed complete. We walked out of the office elated to be bringing baby boy #3 home soon and thinking of 6 consecutive years of missions to pay for. Wrestling in the home is going to double. I'm sure the level of crazy is going to be insane. And I couldn't be happier about any of it.

Then, last night I got a phone call from my doctor. I missed the call and got a message saying there was something in my ultrasound that we needed to talk about and he would call me back first thing in the morning. So, of course I worried all night. Thinking the worst. We finally got the phone call around noon today. Dr. S stated my ultrasound showed some abnormalities in the baby's intestines, technically known as echnogenic bowel. Its a 'soft marker', meaning a abnormality that may indicate an increase risk for chromosomal abnormalities. Things such as downs syndrome. He wasn't too worried about, but said it was something we needed to discuss.

We were at a Walmart and I immediately started to panic. A million different thoughts ran through my head and I started to feel my world collapse. I couldn't wrap my head around any of the information I had been given and couldn't make any thought in my head clear. I talked to the doctor and opted to get further blood work done at my next appointment on Monday, but all of a sudden that wasn't soon enough. I wanted to go the doctor now to get the blood work done. I wanted to know now what was going on. I wanted to know now if my precious baby was going to be okay. 

However, we were getting ready to head to Red Rock Canyon with Scotts parents and I was forced to sit in the car alone with my thoughts. What a huge blessing that was. It gave me time to think and clear my head. It made me sit back and breath and really assess the situation. It helped me think of the bigger picture and what really mattered. It reminded me of the pure love of the Savior.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, so what if my baby has downs? Will I love him less? No. Would I even think about aborting the pregnancy? Not it a million years. This doesn't change one thing about how I feel about this baby. I love him. I love him so much.

We are still going to get the blood work done. If something is wrong I would like the chance to prepare, but the worry is gone. There are many other things this marker can mean such as blood in the amniotic fluid, viral infections or obstructed bowel. And in most cases, it clears up on its own. It is actually very rare that it means something negative at all. 

Either way, I am grateful I was given this opportunity to truly think about the gift of life and how our Savior loves each and everyone of us. I'm grateful to know the love of a mother and how it can overcome any obstacle. I always find it strange how a trial or an unexpected happening happens, it always leaves me feeling empowered. I know because the Lord is on my side I will come out on top. 

 Stay tuned for some more exciting posts about Scotts paperwork, fun visitors and the new house.

Wow, we really are blessed.




13 comments:

Amanda said...

Boo for worrisome news! I hope for the best & am sure your lil guy is just perfect:)
Hey- I need your new address for our address book! will ya text it to me when you gotta chance?!
Gracias

Sheena said...

We're thinking of you and praying for good news for you guys and baby boy! I think its always so scary especially when it comes to our little ones and their well-being/health, but like you said it is so nice to know Heavenly Father has a plan for us and that he will help us through anything and everything.

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

So sorry to hear that. You are very strong and can get through anything! You're a great example to us all.

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

I love how you say that trials always leave you feeling empowered, what an interesting way to put it. I agree. I'm always overwhelmed at the outpouring of power and support from our Heavenly Father when things feel the hardest. I'll keep your little guy in my prayers.

The Collier 4 said...

You have such an incredible testimony. With a testimony that strong and your love for your savior growing daily, things will work out and baby boy will be okay. You are such a strong individual and have such a supportive family. Thanks for sharing and know that you are thought of often.

Taryn said...

That is a scary phone call to get! I think you are 100% normal to worry and have a panic attack, but only very few people would be able to step back and look at the big picture. We are all praying that baby boy is healthy and strong, but your attitude about it all is awesome! I hope you can enjoy the next few days leading up to learning more about it all!

sam and kyrsten said...

what a beautiful perspective. wishing you the very best with this news!

Matt and Cori said...

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way! You are such an example and so amazing to keep such a positive attitute.

Erin_C said...

what an amazing perspective to think of trials as empowering. that really hit home. having twins isn't even in the same realm as worrying about your child's health and well-being, but it has been so empowering to feel like I truly could not handle something, and now all the sudden its my normal life! you will handle whatever is given you with grace, because you are an amazing mother and all three of your boys are lucky to have you. little boy #3 will be perfect no matter what, but he is in my prayers.

Echo said...

One very wise, beautiful blond woman once told me, "The Lord give you what you need, not always what you want." You have always had such a strong testimony, don't let this shake you.

We're praying for you and hoping for the best.Please let us know how things went for you. We love you...All FIVE of you!

Melissa said...

I just saw this today! I'm sorry you have to go through a scary thing! I hope that we hear good news and those darn docs are just giving you a reason to worry unnecessarily.Isn't it amazing that we can have such instant relief from our cares if we take them to Heavenly Father. Let us know ASAP.

Dana said...

I won't even begin to give you the list of things that the doctors told me would go wrong and could go wrong when I found out I was pregnant with Ella. The only thing they were right about was that I needed a C-section - that was not even a problem as far as I was concerned.

Also, last week on my birthday no less, I had a doctor tell me that I had a 98% chance of having colon cancer. This was based on a CT scan. He was 100% wrong.

So, what I'm trying to say is, doctors and medical tests aren't always right.

Hang in there, whatever happens you'll be very blessed to have this new little boy, and he'll be very blessed to have you!

Lisa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am SOO excited for you guys! You look so cute with your little belly!