Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Craving Fall

Its the 7th of September and I am craving fall. Autumn is my favorite season and this year I am missing it more than ever. I am missing the changing leaves, the crisp air, the sweaters, the overall feeling of fall. Unfortunately, as I pondered on how much I miss fall- I found myself missing home. I found my mind wondering over all the little things that I miss. Things like the sound of my parents door unlocking. My spot at the table at my in-laws. The familiarity of Pocatello roads. Looking for deer through the Portneuf Gap. Sunday dinners with family. Meeting friends at the library and play dates. And so on and so on.

I had to pry myself from my pity party and concentrate on all the things I love about Vegas. I love driving to Walmart down the road lined with palm trees. I love all the stars you can see from my backyard. I love watching the air traffic. I love the functionality of my home. I love my new friends. But more than anything, I love the feeling of need. We need to be here. We were directed here by our Heavenly Father and I feel that sense of need to be here. I know we came to Vegas to grow and to learn as a couple and family. I know there are things here that I need. I understand that I will face hard days, weeks and possibly months. But, I have faith in the Lords bigger plan. And my faith out weights any doubt.

I'm still craving fall and will probably have to make a trip to Idaho to satisfy it-but I am also learning out to curb my cravings and love what I have. In the words of Cheryl Crow,

"It's not having what you want-It's wanting what you've got"

With any luck, I'll learn how to do just that.

5 comments:

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

I feel the same about missing home, and I'm an hour away and go home too often. It's just weird not being in your hometown, 10 minutes from your family. We miss the playdates too!! Fall is my fav. time of year too, sorry you don't get to experience that! A trip to Idaho sounds like a good way to satisfy that.. let me know if you come!!

Ann said...

Ahhh grasshopper ... You are wise beyond your years.

WeBeR FaM said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel about missing home! It is a big change being away. There are definitely advantages for your little family though. It makes going home for a visit all the more special, especially if you get to experience a little fall:)

The Collier 4 said...

Keep checking my blog and I will post Fall pics for you to enjoy all the colors. lol

Bradley and Nicole said...

I felt the same way about missing idaho when we moved to vegas. now that we are back I miss vegas so so so much!!! Once you get a hang of where everything is you will love it. If your in henderson check out all the awesome parks. There is one that carson loved so much. I can't remember the name but I remember how to get there. Let me know if ya want to go there I'll tell ya how to get there.