Saturday, August 27, 2016

A Day To Forget

I really wish I could forget about yesterday. But, it might be funny in a couple months...probably years....so I'll record it. It all started Thursday night when Scott came home from work. He didn't feel well and basically went straight to bed. He was planning on working overtime on Friday, so I was surprised to wake up at 7:15 and see him sleeping next to me. He said he felt like he had been hit by a bus. I did a mom exam on him and sent him to get a strep test. Sure enough, it was positive. 

When he told me he was in fact sick, I immediately examined Cache. Sure enough, cache was showing some symptoms. The problem with cache is when he has strep, he doesn't show many symptoms. His symptoms are slight, like a strawberry tongue. Then I got thinking about the last few days and his appetite and attitude and decided we needed to take him in. The doctor had an appointment a couple hours later, so I ran to the pharmacy to pick up Scott's RX while we waited. 

I took Cache to the doctor and his test came back positive. I spoke to the doctor about removing Caches tonsils, the referral was made and we are on our way to our third tonsillectomy. So, we headed back to the pharmacy for RX number two. Unfortunely, there was a miscommunication and the RX wasn't ready. Home we went. 

At home, I went downstairs to check on my husband. We were downstairs when we heard a scream and Tayden came running in yelling for help. Beckett had fallen and gotten really hurt. I ran upstairs just as Beckett was coming in the door...with a broken arm. My heart sank. I grabbed him some pants (he was playing in his unders) and shoes, got him dressed and took him to the hospital. We had to wait about 20 minutes, which was torture. He told me the pain was getting worse by the second. He tried so hard to be brave and not cry...but tears rolled down his cheeks. Watching him in pain was an extremely hard feat and it broke my heart. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs for someone to help my baby! 

They got us back to the room and started working. The IV was the worst part, but once it was in and the morphine was flowing, Beckett was back to his happy self. He was chatting with nurses and feeling quite good. They determined he broke his radius and ulna about 2 inches above his wrist and 3 inches from his growth plate. My dad met me at the hospital and was able to give Beckett a beautiful blessing before setting the bones. The setting went well and you could hardly see the cracks in the post X-Rays. Beckett did great coming out of it. He saw me and had a huge smile and wide eyes and said, "Mom?" I assured him it was me and he continued to smile as he asked if we were in a dream. After the nurses were sure he was doing okay, they sent him out the door. And back to the pharmacy we went to pick up Caches RX and drop off Becketts for pain killers. 

Brave boy.

The break. His arm is not supposed to be bent like that. 

Mom and my boy.

After the bone setting. 

Beckett needed some fresh air with his new buddy "steggie" from our sweet neighbor, Hallie. 

Luckily, my mom was at my house being the super hero she is and was taking care of everyone. We got in and Tayden ran to Beckett with a huge hug. He had been so worried about him. Finally, for the first time all day, I ate. I had been feeling ill all day, but never had a chance to stop. And as soon as I got home and did stop, the bus hit me. So, I was off to the doctor. Strep. And then, back to the pharmacy I went. I picked up Becketts RX and dropped off mine. 20 minutes later and 3 new RX's...I headed home. I have never been so happy to go to bed. 

Three positive strep tests and one broken arm later, we had one busy day. 

A few things I don't want to forget about yesterday:
* Beckett broke his arm while they were playing on the tramp. The kids play this game where one kid is on the outside of net and the other kids try to push them off. Beckett was holding his ground pretty good, so Tayden gave him a running push and pushed him off the tramp. Beckett had a sore knee all day, and tried to land on his arms as much as he could. It buckled and broke. 
* When we asked Tayden what happened, he broke down into tears. He hasn't ever felt guilt like that before and watching him experience it was almost as bad as the broken arm. 
* Tayden called Beckett at the hospital. As they spoke, Tayden was a little hesitant to say anything after the hellos, so B said... "Hi Tayden, how are you?" It was the sweetest thing. 
* My rockstar parents came at the drop of a hat. My dad to the hospital with me and my mom to the house to tend the kids and Scott. We could not have survived without them. 
* While B was gettin his bones set, I had a quiet moment in the bathroom and prayed. I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and acknowledgement. 

The day was hard, but we got through it and I was so grateful when it was over. As much as I want to forget it, I'm sure I'll be glad to remember it one day. 

No comments: