Two weeks ago I called my mom in a panic. I was wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into by signing up for school. So much of this has been a balancing act and I felt like I was constantly dropping things. I don't handle change or "failure" well. Not being able to keep up with the same schedule I've had for the past 12 years plus school, was overwhelming. She gave me the best advice, "Be kind to yourself and make room for change". Then she proceeded to tell me how. We've made two big changes since then and it's been wonderful. First, everybody takes a dinner night. I still have to help, but the stress of planning weekly dinners is gone. I've been so impressed with how much the kids have been not only willing to help but excited as well. After dinner, the kids have to help clean up. Paper plates have made that a lot easier.
The second change we made was to the laundry schedule. Laundry day used to be Monday. I would wash and sort all the clothes and then the kids would put their baskets away. That was causing too much stress and had to change. So now, I was all the clothes on Wednesday (the only day we don't have any practices) and just put them on my bed. Then, after dinner, we all sort it together and the kids put their clothes away. If we can get it all done in time, we can watch a family show before bed. It worked out really well and saves me so much time.
I'm so grateful for my support system. For my husband and kids who want to see me succeed. And for my mom who helps me breathe through my obsessive tendencies and find new ways to make things work. I'm lucky to have them on my side.
No comments:
Post a Comment