Sunday, January 17, 2021

Basketball

Basketball season is here again. This year, with four players. Yep, all the boys are playing. Its been fun and ridiculously busy. We have four players, 5 1/2 teams (Beckett is on two, and Tayden is subbing on another) 8 weekly practices for a total of 11 hours and 4-5 weekly games. It has been busy. However, weekends like this past one make it worth it. 

The two older boys got to play in their first traveling tournament.  It was only an hour away in Pocatello, but still, that's traveling. Beckett had a great time. He is playing on a new team with a bit more skilled players. He has had to learn their plays, keep up a new pace and work hard for his rebounds. He did fabulous at the tournament. He didn't score any points, but he made dozens of rebounds and plenty of assists. They walked away undefeated and their coach even bought them all a shirt. I love watching Beckett on the court!!



Tayden played late into the night. Ridiculously late. His first game started at 9:35pm and the second at 10:55pm. It was nearly midnight by the time they finished! Although he was exhausted, it will be a lifetime memory. 

Tayden took a break from basketball in 3rd and 4th grade. Our neighborhood team (The Knights) always asked him to play, but we kindly declined. Fast forward to now and that team is quite talented. When Tayden picked up basketball again last year, he ended up on a mismatched team with a couple of friends. He did well enough, but he really wanted to be better. And he has put in the work to get there. The Knights coach, Jake Denning- who is also his football coach, invited Tayden to their practices. Jake has taught him core fundamentals that he missed. He has worked with him on plays, reading the court and all and all being a better player. On Thursdays, Tayden goes to four hours of practice between the two teams. And it has paid off. He played great in the tournamnet. He didn't get a ton of playing time, but enough to score 6 points and defend like a boss. I am proud of his work ethic! 

Between games, Scott and I took the boys out to dinner. Grandma and Grandpa Packard had the little boys and we got to hang out with our big boys. That rarely happens so it was a treat. I don't know who enjoyed it more, me or the kids. 



I love my active boys. I am happy that we have found a balance between sports and family life. I'm glad they have the opportunities that they do!

No comments: