Monday, December 28, 2020

Midnight

 The little boys asked for their own pets this year for Christmas. Kyle wanted some fish, that was easy enough. Cache, staying true to his two year request, asked for a tarantula. He loves those creepy crawlys and what I was sure was a phase turned out to be a passion. 

This year we decided to turn that passion into a reality! Scott was less than excited. But, he let his love for his son overpower his fear of the spider. I am so proud of him! 

When Cache opened up the tank on Christmas he could hardly believe it. He was thrilled and couldn't wait for the day to be over so we could pick up the tarantula the following day. 





I found a tarantula breeder (who knew there was such a thing) in Idaho Falls. They had over 30 species of spiders and just happened to have a couple curly hairs for sale. When I took Cache over to pick one out, I didn't realize it would be such an interesting experience. We pulled up to the run down house and I was immediately questioning the situation. The people met us outside and I instantly knew they were kind and excited to share their hobby with my son. They sat down and talked to Cache about their different tarantulas and showed him their favorites. He was enthralled asking question after question and quizzing their knowledge. He peppered them with his quick wit and fast facts and dazzled them with his dimples. When it came time to pick his pet, he knew just which one he wanted. I started to pay and the man said, "Merry Christmas! No payment is needed. This young mans smile and knowing his dream is coming true is enough for me. I'm always happy to help a fellow enthusiast." I was blown away by his kindness. After trying multiple times to pay him, we agreed I would find my own situation to pay it forward. On top of the free spider, they gave him a shirt too. We walked out of the house in complete owe. They could have used the money more than us, but they found an opportunity to serve. It was touching. 





We're two days into this adventure and Cache is doing great. In all honesty, the tarantula, Midnight, isn't that bad. We've watched him dig a burrow, spin a web inside his log and drink from his water. Cache even got to hold him today! He was a bit nervous, but knew just what to do. He says multiple times a day, " I can't believe I have my own tarantula! Midnight is so cool!" Watching his experience his first pet has been the coolest! 

















Oh, the lengths we go for our children. It never fails to surprise me. 

No comments: