Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Online Learning

This week marks our first week of online learning as well as Scotts first week working from home. To say its been an adjustment is an understatement. But to say its been horrible is untruthful. To be honest, the adjustment has gone better than I anticipated. Of course we've had our hiccups here and there, but over all I think we will fall into a routine rather quickly.

Scott started his week off commandeering the computer room. He deep cleaned it, moved things around and got his stuff set up. He ordered a new computer chair and made himself right at home at work. If the door is closed, that means do not disturb. A cracked door means, working but available. An open door means come on in. He isn't insanely busy which is nice for the kids and I. We get to see him from time to time and I enjoy having another adult around. And as long as he has a supply of buttercream mints, he's happy. 








The kids week started off strong as well. When I learned that they would be learning from home, I immediately started praying for help along the way. I knew I would struggle with daily flexibility for the kids. I like things structured and predictable. I like to sit in the same spot every time, I like to know what is going to happen and when. I like a pattern. I do not do spontaneous very well. I have a hard time going with the flow. But my kids are teaching me to loosen up and its actually been really great. 

The first day we all sat down at the table and started our work. We read scriptures, wrote in our journals and then did school work. I walked around the table supervising and helping the boys where they needed it. We were done before lunch and were able to play the rest of the day. 




Today looked quite different. The kids each had an online video chat with their class and teachers. The time slots were spread out over the morning. Cache was at 9:10, Beckett at 10:30 and Tayden started at 11:50. Which meant school was spread out over the morning as well. Cache started school right after his phone call and only had about 45 minutes worth of work. Beckett did a little before his meeting, but did the majority of it afterwards. Tayden waited until after his chat to start and didn't finish until the early evening. I was being beckoned most the day to help with one thing or another and trying to do my stuff in between. 









As stressful as it was, and frankly a bit annoying, there was a lot of good that came from it. The kids enjoyed that type of pace and learning, which meant less fight from them. Tayden came into my room while I was folding laundry and did his math on my bed. I loved that one on one connection with him. It felt like a moment that would become a memory. Beckett liked snacking while he worked and Cache liked being able to move while he learned. The rules stayed the same, no screens/privileges until school was done. But they got to be responsible for the pace of their work and were not tied to their brothers. 



I think we will implement a little bit of both structures. Monday and Wednesday when they have video chats with their teachers will be a bit more relaxed. While Tuesday and Thursday will be more structured. And with any luck, we'll have everything done by Friday so we can enjoy our days off with Dad.

Home isolation has been hard, but we are happy to be getting back into some sort of normalcy. Things that have kept us sane have been daily school lunches. We drive to a school up the road and pick up lunch. Its a fun surprise for the boys to see whats in the bag and its nice to take a ride and chance scenery for a couple minutes during the day. Another thing they've enjoyed is their homemade indoor basketball court. That's provided hours of entertainment. There have been times I've had to get creative and provide activities. We've played games, done dice drawing, learned how to make paper ninja stars, gone on lots of family walks and watched movies. Cache and I have also enjoyed doing crosswords together.













I think we are in this for the long haul. I have a feeling it is going to get much worse before it gets better, so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and appreciate the freedom we have right now. We are starting to feel a little cooped up, but hopefully once the weather warms up a bit we can spend more and more time outside. I'm looking forward to that day. But for now, we are safe and healthy and that's enough for me! 

No comments: