Wednesday, April 8, 2020

General Conference

This weekend was conference weekend. It could not have come at a better time. With the world in a state of chaos and confusion, I was really looking for words of hope and peace. As I listened to all five sessions, my faith was renewed and my spirits were lifted. 

Last session President Nelson told us it would be a conference unlike any other. He asked us to prepare by learning more about Joseph Smith and the First Vision. All the while, I thought we were supposed to be gaining knowledge so that we could relate more to the talks that would be given. Or have a better understanding of them. And while I am sure there were multiple things to take away from the conference and the preparation for it, I love my lesson I learned. As I studied about Joseph Smith and the First vision, I gained a greater testimony of the prophet and the visit from Heavenly Visitors, namely God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. I learned that if I believe in Joseph Smith then I believe in the Book of Mormon, modern prophets and revelation and all other aspects of the church. You can't have a true testimony of that Prophet and his vision without believing in everything else about our gospel.The strengthening of my testimony over the past six months prepared me for this epidemic. It gave me the strength to rely on a loving Heavenly Father. It gave me the faith to understand in a higher plan. It allowed me to know that He is in control and to not fear things that are temporal. 

 I also learned how hard the life of Joseph Smith was, but how he handled it with grace and faith. Is there any better example on how to react to COVID-19? There is still time for God, goodness and grace. There is still room to be positive and look for opportunities to serve. I learned that no matter how hard or scary things get, the Church of Jesus Christ is true. And that will never change.

Even though the format was different, I loved the messages of love and peace this weekend. Talks were about family, family history work, world kindness, covenants and everything in between. Everything was taught with the spirit and applied to my life. I sat down for all ten hours and soaked up the goodness straight from Heaven. President Nelson introduced a new Proclamation about the restoration and we did the Hosana Shout as a church afterwards.  

I felt peace as we were told that COVID-19 would be overcome and life would return to some sort of resemblance of normal. But I also felt an overwhelming feeling that this is the beginning of the Second Coming. We are here to prepare the world for the coming of the Lord. Now is the time to keep our faith and share it with those around us. The work is hastening and the time is at hand. I hope I live to see the day when the Savior returns and reigns. I hope that I can prepare my children for that great and marvelous day. It helps me to face hard challenges by giving them a purpose. I can say, "This is hard, but it is in preparation for the return of Jesus Christ". And that immediately changes my attitude and outlook. It gives me courage. And hope.

I'm grateful for our Prophet. I believe him to be a true Prophet of God. I see him modern revelation at work. I trust him and sustain him. God is good. The church is true. 

No comments: