Monday, August 21, 2017

Great American Solar Eclipse 2017

We were so lucky to be in the path of totality for the Great American Solar  Eclipse 2017. Our backyard literally gave us 100% view of the totality eclipse. City officials had been warning us for weeks, if not months, about the influx of  people that Idaho Falls would be experiencing. So, when I thought of the eclipse I thought of mayhem and huge crowds and shrugged off the actual event. But this morning as I woke up and witnessed it starting to happen, my heart soared. I suddenly realized I was participating in an incredible piece of history. Everyone was set up on their front lawns and having parties. It was so neat. The boys were excited, and because of their nifty glasses, actually watched more than I thought they would. As the moon started to cover more and more of the moon, the temperature starting dropping and the day grew dark. We saw stars, night crawlers came to the surface, street lights turned on and I stood in awe at what I was witnessing. When totality hit and we could look at the celestial event without glasses, the neighborhood broke out in cheers. The eclipse connected us in a way I had not anticipated. 

To make the event extra special, Scott's family came to watch it with us. We ate dinner, roasted smores and stayed up too late playing farkle. Waking up with everyone in our home was delightful. I really lucked out with the family I married into. I love spending time with them. 





We couldn't see where we were supposed to look. 





Just a friendly game of solar eclipse Marco Polo. 

Scott's uncle and aunt, Brad and Donna Thomas. 

Grandma and Grandpa Packard.



We took advantage of the night crawlers and went worming after the eclipse. Aimslee and Cache were the only ones who stayed for pictures. 

It was such a great weekend. One that I had kind of dreaded, but ended up totally loving.  

No comments: