Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mothers Day 2017

Mothers Day was great this year. The boys showered me with gifts this morning. Scott got me the most perfect sign, that is basically my life motto right now, it says, "You are braver than you believe. Stronger than you seem. And smarter than you think." Its perfect. He also got me some beautiful roses, a cute door mat (I LOVE door mats) and finished it off with a candy necklace and ring...since he couldn't afford the real thing. How cute is he?

We spent the morning at my parents and the afternoon at Scotts parents. It was wonderful. I love being so close. I put down my phone today. I didn't take single picture, I just enjoyed the day.

I love this day and the chance it gives me to reflect on what being a mother means. Its hard. Like incredibly hard. But I had a wonderful example of perseverance growing up. My mom went to school, worked full time and juggled three kids. She was kind and loving and always knew just what I needed.

One time, my wallet got stolen and I had a million things on my plate that day. I was freaking out. She took me to Taco Bell, where we sat down with a fresco taco and we wrote a list of things that I needed to get done. It was a simple thing, but it meant so much to me that she knew exactly what I needed to calm down. And when we left, we started checking off my list. She stood by me until we got it done.

Another time, I was having a rough day. And she told me that I should pray. I told her I didn't want to, so she scooped me up into her arms and prayed for me. Again, she knew what I needed without me saying a word.

I hope to high heaven I can be that kind of mom for my boys. I hope I learn to know them so intimately that I can anticipate their needs without them having to tell me. I hope they can count on me to teach them, lead them and pick them up when they fall. I will always be their biggest fan.

There are days my patience runs thin or the TV is on too much. There are days we have cereal for dinner and toys don't get picked up. There are days I'm not very nice. But never is there a day that I don't love my children and I hope when they think of me in years to come they remember the love that I have for them.

Being a mother is my greatest blessing. Sometimes I look at all four of them and wonder how I got so lucky to call them mine. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Fathers loves me enough to have given me such a wonderful gift.

No comments: