Ah, where to start? We had to return Bentley. I was allergic. I have never in my life been allergic to any animal, until we got a hypoallergenic dog. Ironic, huh? I started get the itching eyes on Saturday which surely progressed to a super sneezy nose. Scott asked if it was the dog and I laughed it off, of course it wasn't the dog. Turns out I was wrong. It's not only frustrating but absolutely devastating.
Bentley is the perfect dog. The kind you dream to have in your family. Yes, there were things we were going to have to work on. He was potty trained on a schedule, just one that didn't really work with us. So we were going to have to start completely over on that. He didn't love his kennel, but was progressively getting better each night. And he didn't know his own size. Like my mom said, he was like an 8th grader in size 13 shoes. He was clumsy and that lead to some accidents with Tanner and the kids, but it would have worked itself out as he got older. But he was calm, obedient and fun.
The whole situation breaks my heart. Seeing my kids joy when romping around with a big dog or the love and comfort when they were laying around with him, gave me just enough of a taste to want a big dog now more than ever. I think somewhere in my subconscious I am digging in my heels and refusing to give into a Las Vegas life style. Having a big dog in a small yard was my way of rebelling against Vegas and my last effort to give them the childhood I so desperately want for them. I like LV, but its just not what I want for my kids.
As if coming to terms with letting my dream dog go weren't enough, telling Tayden was. He was confused, but luckily Sid the Science kid saved the day with the episode about allergies. He was sad and wanted Bentley to stay, but understood why he couldn't. I asked him what would make him feel better and he promptly answered, "A fish". So we ran down to Petsmart and got him a guppy. That's the beauty of little kids. Their hearts break into a million pieces, but are pretty easy to repair.
We're still not 100% if it was the dog giving me problems, but time was not on our side. I contacted the previous owner and she said a family was interested in him, but it would have to be today. I really wanted to give it a few days to make sure it was him, but more than that I wanted to make sure he would go to a good home. He deserved it. I didn't want to wait a few days, have it turn out to be him and then not be able to find a good home. I'm praying it was him. I don't want giving him up to be in vain.
I started missing Bentley the minute I gave him back.
Some things just suck.
This is one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment