Monday, August 20, 2012

Challenges

Day 6 of 30: What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?

I have been so lucky and blessed in my life. I have been challenged and I have faced trials, but haven't had to experience anything I would consider 'life changing hard'. I have a hard time narrowing down one trial as the hardest point in my life and feel like I would be insulting so many people by even trying to pin point a minor set back, when I know people who have had actual devastating trials.  

So, with that being said--I'm changing the challenge to: What is the hardest thing you are experiencing now.

I'm at an interesting place in my life. Happy with so many aspects, yet I'm facing regular trials that bring more frustration then I've known before. I've been struggling ALOT lately with Tayden and his bedtime/sleeping. Seriously, to the point of tears. He doesn't go bed without a fight and refuses to sleep all night in his bed. Most nights it takes over an hour to get him bed. I am so sick of giving up my evenings to a ridiculous preschooler. Being hugely pregnant and being on my feet all day, I just don't have the energy to fight him each night when it comes time to bed. I give into his tactics when I know I shouldn't. I let him sleep by me, because that's the only way I get to sleep. I'm doing everything wrong and I know it. It frustrates the heck out of me. 

Challenge number two. Scotts job. Let me say this first. I am so grateful for his job and the financial stability it provides. I am grateful he is doing something he enjoys. I am grateful that it brought me to Vegas and has introduced me the people that we are associated with. I am grateful I get to stay home with my children. With that said, he's job is a struggle for me. You have to understand, he is gone 14+ hours a day, 4 days a week. Depending on the shift he's working, the kids will go all week without seeing him. I have no way to get ahold of him during the day, unless it is an emergency. Like, major major emergency. Sometimes he calls me during lunch, but the conversation never last for more than 2 minutes. I have zero idea what he does, where he works or who he works with. In truth, its like we live two different lives for a majority of the week. For some people, this wouldn't be to bad. For me, its horrible. Aside from being a 'single mom' every other week, I hate the day to day absence of my husband. I hate that I can't pick up the phone and call him or text him. It's lonely. I don't want to get into too many details or complain too much, but this has been more of a learning experience than I had bargained for. Again, let me say...I AM grateful for his job, but its still a challenge for me. 

Life is hard, but I am thankful that this is as hard as its been so far.
I am really am blessed.

2 comments:

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

You aren't alone in your bedtime struggles, we go through the same thing every night!

The Gray Gang said...

We used to fight the exact same bedtime battle, I was always so exhausted and frustrated by the time it was over I'd dread the evenings. About 6 months ago we decided it was time to take control of the situation. My solution was letting the kids control their bed time. We started by having a very serious family meeting (dad included) of what the rules where at bed time and what was expected. I think this was the most important thing for us... They had no idea what was expexted of them at night nor did Dad and I follow the same rules (partly cuz Dad is hardly home at bed time. I then made a door chart for each kid of the things that needed to be done before they go to bed, our list included- a snack, brush teeth, Jammie's on, read scriptures, read story, 10 minutes of alone time for them to read on their own, prayers, then I turn quiet music on in my bedroom so that it is quiet in their room and then lights out.
We started by using a sticker chart, when they went 10 days in a row with no problems they got a special reward. It's to the point where it's a routine now and the only night we have a problem are when we rush te routine or don't do it at all... Plan adequately...45 minutes from beginning to end...then when it's time to get ready for bed I give them both a pen and they chose which order try want to do things and they check off each thing as they go. They love this part and they love the control. I have no idea what you've done, I just know this was life changing for us. I hope you find the perfect solution for your family.