Thursday, March 19, 2009

Its Official

So, its official. I am not going back to work. The plan was for me to stay home for 8 weeks and go back to my wonderful job at Idaho Central, but the plan was also for Scott to become a driver at UPS. However, as I have learned...sometimes the best plan is to deviate from the original plan and play life as it comes. As Scott is going back to school in September and I was supposed to be the primary bread winner, I am sure some of you are thinking "That girl is crazy. With these tough economic times, what is she doing? People are being laid off all around the country and she is quitting!". And I will admit, I have had the same thought run through my head more than once. However, the following promptings have outweighed that thought by a mile.
  • What is the big picture? Is the big picture until Scott graduates? the next twenty years? Or how about eternity? For me the big picture is eternity and this is just a small part of the painting. My family is eternal and everything else is temporal. So where do my priorities lie? To my eternal big picture or the temporal time when Scott is going to school. Yes, we will have to change our life style for a while. Yes, it will be hard. Yes, we might be tighter than we are used to. Yes, we will make it. And yes, it will be worth it.
  • Echo, my super wise sister-in-law, told me something I will never forget. Life is like riding a tandem bike. We are on the back peddling as fast and hard as we can, but we can't control where the bike goes. That is up to the person in front who is steering. And that person is the Lord. We have to have faith in him to lead us in the right direction. I truly believe this is our test of faith. Why would we give up my job? Why would we give up our main source of income? Because that is the answer we got... Plain and simple. No second thoughts, we are doing what the Lord has told us to do. I have to confess, it was the scariest answer I have received. However, isn't that the ultimate act of faith? Jumping blindly and having faith he will catch you. I know he will bless us because we trust him. Our job is to keep peddling.
  • Its funny the things that come to my head at 3 am when I'm feeding my baby. I have decided I am going to start a summer school program. I know, all the new moms turn to babysitting to supplement income right? But, this is different. I have outlined the summer with activities and have a fun curriculum. I have a few people interested already and think this will work fabulously. I am overwhelmed with peace when I think about doing this. I just know it is going to work.

So, I guess it all really boils down to two things: Faith and Family. The two greatest blessing in my life, and how could I turn my back on either one. Scott and I have carefully considered the situation and feel we are making the best decision. I am so blessed to have a supportive family and a wonderful son. So now, our plan has changed again...and we are living life as it comes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you. It is really hard to decide to stay home...it is even harder when the money gets tight or you have to say no to something, but it is totally worth it. When your feeling doubtful..call me I totally get it. I wonder every day why I am not working to support our family, but every time I ask I get a flat out no I have just quit asking. Good for you.

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

That is great! Glad you got an answer and it's the right one. Everything will work out!

Erin_C said...

Thats so great. I remember getting our answer that we should move to Tennessee . . . talk about scary! But we've learned the Lord knows what He is doing ;-)

I pray I'll be able to stay home with our little girl when she comes. I want nothing more, but with a hubby in school i sometimes have my doubts. But then I look at the cost of childcare financially (its expensive!) and how much I'd be missing; I can't imagine going back to work. Anywy, that was long, but its so great you feel at peace with your decision! Thats what is most important.

The Armstrong Family said...

More power to ya! If I have learned anything during the past year...it is that the Lord definitely is in control and like you said... we have to have faith even if we are following without being able to see where we are headed. You won't ever regret your decision TRUST ME!!! I think giving up a little money (or a lot :) is nothing compared to being able to be with your baby. I am excited for you! If you are ever bored, give me a call. Hope everything works out for you. Oh and by the way (sorry this is so long) the program I use for the pictures is called Picasa... you can download it from the internet for free and it is completely safe. It is kind of a Photoshop for dummies! I love it!

Jamie said...

That is wonderful! I love staying home and hope that I will always be able to do it. I'm so happy for you and your decision! It's great! I hope you have as much fun as I do. I can't imagine not being home now...

Amanda said...

I am so happy for you! i would rather live poor for eternity and be there to raise my children the way they should be, than have all the money in the world. you are lucky that your husband is supportive...go scott. I have read so many talks lately from the church authorities that say that if possible moms need to be at home and dads support the family. Im am so blessed as are you to have that opportunity. there is no doubt in my mind that you are following the promptings of the spirit:) love ya

Echo said...

Yay you! And I must say, you are very wise too. The comment that sticks in my minde was when you bore your testimony. "The Lord always answers your prayers, sometimes not the way you want them, but the way you need them." And that was definetly something I needed to hear at the time. So thank you. Things will work out, and once you get over this hump, I am sure the Lord will let steer for a litte bit :o) Love ya!