A few weeks ago, Tayden and his friend decided to go drifting in a church parking lot. It didn't work out so well for him as he lost control, jumped a curb and hit a fence. He called us, panicking, and we went up to the church to assess the damage. His wheels were facing each other and it was clear there was some major issues. Scott laid into him pretty heavy and we were grateful that our good friend, Justin Frandsen (Dad of Taydens friend, Luke) was there and helped calm things down. We left the car for the night and went home.
At home, we had a good talk and lots of regret and tears. Tayden and I had a chance to discuss what was really important and that was that he was safe. It could have been so much worse, but it wasn't. We prayed together that night and he said a beautiful prayer. He prayed in gratitude for his safety, he prayed for forgiveness and strength to fix the problem. It was a moment I'll never forget.
He was pretty upset, so I laid in bed with him while he fell asleep. As I laid next to my oldest son, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I felt so much love for my little boy that was growing up and facing hard things. I felt gratitude that he was safe. I felt hope and pride for the person he is becoming. It was a hard parenting moment, but so rewarding too.
This has actually shaped up to be a great learning lesson. Tayden is fixing his mistake. He has a job lined up to pay for the damage and repairs. He and Scott worked together to fix the fence at the church and are working to fix the car. Scott found the same car in Pocatello that was being sold for parts and we are using it to fix Taydens car. Tayden and Scott have spent a lot of the time in the garage together and its been educational and bonding. Even though this has been hard, its been good. I'm proud of him for taking responsibility and learning from his mistakes.
No comments:
Post a Comment