Friday, March 20, 2020

Social Distancing

Its crazy how much life can change in a week, or even a day. In December of 2019, China announced a novel corona-virus had manifested with in the city of Wuhan. It quickly grew out of control and while many people were fine, the older people and those with underlying health issues were dying at an alarming rate. It was half a world away and while I read the news about it, I didn't fully understand it or worry about it all. Fast forward two months and virus has spread across the world, causing a pandemic.

As we heard about the first case in the United States, my ears perked up and I started paying more attention. With every day, a new case was found, a new state effected. Within weeks, every state had a case of COVID-19, the official name for this strain of corona-virus. Including Idaho. The disease was closing in.

With the raise of illness, rose panic. Masses of people flocked to the stores buying out canned goods, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, soap, bleach, clorox wipes, over the counter medications. The shelves were literally empty. Toilet paper was sold out across the city. Mass hysteria had set in. Luckily, as the threat grew across the US, Scott become more and more aware of our immediate needs. We went to the store to stock up on flour, sugar, rice, canned goods and food storage essentials. A quick side note about our shopping. We learned very quickly about exact obedience to the Prophet of the Lord. We have been counseled for years to keep up on food storage and Scott and I were okay at following. But not good. Not exact. The time came to get prepared and instead of being able to turn to our food storage, we had to turn to the stores. We were lucky we did it before pandemonium hit. But we would have been completely prepared and not at all scared if we had followed the counsel of the Lord. We promised to listen exactly from here on out.

As things across the world get more and more uncertain the church has announced some unprecedented events. Church worldwide has been canceled. Families are doing church at home with some areas having authority to bless the sacrament at home. Temples have shut down proxy work and are only allowing living ordinances to be performed. Conference has been closed to the public and will only allow participants to attend. Even the music has been pre-recorded.

The changes have sparked some fear, but I can't help to see the modern revelation and Gods hand in all the details. Church has been canceled, but we have been practicing home centered, church supported church for a year now. We know what do to. We know how to teach in our home. We have been preparing for this.

Temples have been shut down, but living ordinances still continue. About a year ago, the Church allowed for sealings to happen any time after a civil marriage. Previously, sealings could only happen a year after the civil marriage was performed. This affects many people directly. While we were in Las Vegas, I was a beehive leader. One of those girls was planning to get married this weekend. She went to the court house to pick up her marriage license, only to find the doors closed and no access to the marriage department. She and her fiance were able to drive to St. George and get married in the court house. Because of the changes, they will still be able to get sealed this weekend. What a blessing!

President Nelson announced last October conference, that the upcoming conference would be one to remember and unlike anything we had experienced. While I am sure there are other factors to this because it happens to be 200 years from the First Vision, I am one hundred percent certain that he knew this would be happening. That little piece of information let the world know he is in constant communication with our Father in Heaven.

Schools across the states have been canceled. Many for the rest of the year. Our school has opted for online learning, which will start April 1st, the week after spring break. We have been advised to practice social distancing, which basically means stay home if you can. The objective is to flatten the curve of this disease and try to snuff it out quicker. We have been home for 8 days. Its been hard on the kids because they can't play with friends. But it has been nice to see them relying on each other and strengthening their personal relationships with their individual brothers. I have gone to the store once, but other than that, we've been home. Scott will start to work from home next week, which will take adjusting to, but I have no doubt we'll find a system that works. So far we have colored, played Monoply, gone on walks and played basketball,  tuned a new guitar and had private popcorn breaks. 
























This is hard. And its scary. But we are doing our best to keep our faith and have good attitudes. We are showing our kids that in times of uncertainty, we can rely on our family and faith. We have a home, and all the privileges that go with it. Food, beds, blanket, internet, etc. We are comfortable and safe. We have seen good in the world as people donate their time and efforts to those less fortunate. The sun has started to shine and its been warm enough for the kids to play. I think of the hymn with the line, "All are safely gathered in". That warms my heart.

Through all of this I have prayed for direction. How do I entertain my kids without them spending too much time on screens or without a constant fight? I've wondering how I will teach them both spiritually and academically and still expect them to turn out better than before. What can I do to make working from home a positive experience for Scott. And through all of this, the phrase, "To be a stronger family." has parked in my mind. All of this will make us a stronger family. All of our activities are driven by making us a stronger family. I wrote it on my mirror and Cache said, "Mom, you should right, 'Fight to be a stronger family'". What an beautiful idea. Fighting to be a stronger family. So that is what we are doing. We are fighting together to become stronger. And it feels so good.

No comments: