Thursday, January 23, 2020

When did I become?

When did I become the older mom? The mom at the library with only one kid while my others are in school. I watched the young moms with 2-3 little kids, pushing strollers, carrying car seats, cleaning up snacks, chasing fast feet, bending over pregnant bellies and my heart broke a little bit. I am no longer one of them. Its funny how life hits you when you least expect it. I'm the mom I used to crave and worship. The mom that looks like she knows what shes doing because she has years of experience. The mom that has one tiny hand to hold and no seat belts to fasten. The mom that is actually dying inside because she misses those sweet chaotic moments.

Don't get me wrong. I love this stage of life. I love it so much. There is so much goodness that comes with having kids that are a little bit older. And what I have learned is that this will fade quickly too and soon enough, I will be that mom watching her teenager drive away on his first date. I'll be the mom that's helping with school projects and worrying about the influence of their friends. So for now, I will enjoy this second stage of motherhood.

I am learning one thing about motherhood. No matter the stage, its hard. It is not without grief and trials. It requires patience, love, patience, humility, patience, strength, patience, endurance. Last week we had four snow days. Cache had an abscessed tooth, Kyle contracted strep again and Tayden was diagnosed with Influenza B. It was an awful week. I complained to my friends only to hear about their weeks.

Jodie had to take her son, Owen, to get his blood drawn. He is horrible scared of needles and it took five people to help with the draw. In the midst of his screaming and wailing his sweet older sister, Hallie, passed out from the blood. So there Jodie was, trying to console and upset child and tend to an unconscious child, all while trying to keep herself together.

Melissa, got in a hit and run accident.

Natalee endured a flu diagnosis for her son along with another positive strep test.

Hillary is trying to navigate five kids in different sports and activities all while supporting her husband who was just called to be the second counselor in the stake presidency.

Kristin is battling for custody of her children.

Tiffany is struggling with the guilt of being a single mom.

The point is this, motherhood is hard. Everyone has their own battle they are fighting. And as mothers, we are bound together by that struggle. No matter our current stage, there is room for kindness and support. A gentle smile at the mom struggling in the grocery store line. A friendly nod at the mom grocery shopping with her teenage sons. A lending hand, because heaven knows we could all use an extra.

Motherhood, in all stages, is good. And the more we learn to embrace it, the better it will become. 

No comments: