Sunday, December 8, 2019

Ugly Christmas Tree

Every year, Black Friday kicks off our Christmas holiday. We crank the Christmas tunes, burn the Christmas candle and my favorite, set up the Christmas Tree. I love Christmas Trees. And I take pride in them. This year, Beckett was gone at a friends house while I was setting everything up. When he came home, he said, "I just wish you would make our Christmas Tree prettier. Its kind of ugly." I was blown away. I'm not saying I am a professional decorator by any means, but I wouldn't call our tree ugly by any stretch of the imagination.



I told him that was rude and asked what was wrong with it. He told me he wished it had more color. All of a sudden, I realized all the red and green blend into the pine for my sweet color blind boy. We're not exactly sure to what extent he can or can't see color, but Scott downloaded an app onto his phone so we can get an idea of what he sees. My heart sank when I saw his version of the Christmas Tree. He was right, it was ugly and needed more color.


We talked it over and decided that the day after Christmas when everything is on sale, he and I will go get new ornaments that he can see. I'm sure it will be bright and little obnoxious and totally not my style, but more than anything I want him to experience a beautiful tree. So I bid farewell to this tree, but allow Beckett to welcome his own. 

Its magical the things we do for our children. Even though giving up a beautiful tree is a small sacrifice, I think we can compare it to gift of our Savior. Heavenly Father loved the rest of us so much, that he sacrificed his son for the rest of us. He saw a bigger picture and could focus on the truly important things. I hope to be a parent in his image. 

No comments: