Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Parent Teacher Conferences

Half the time, more like three quarters, I wonder if I am doing this parenting thing right. I worry about their screen time, sibling arguments, spiritual opportunities, academics, sugar intake, clean rooms, etc. etc. etc. Parenting is hard. But after Parent Teacher Conferences last week, I called my mom and shared my elation that I was doing something right. Here's why.

Tayden: Academically, Tayden is doing great. He doesn't love to read, heck, he doesn't even like to read...but his scores are great. He is reading at level and doing really great in math. He is usually done with his math before his friends, and tends to be "overly helpful" when he finishes up. Although he love love loves to make people laugh, he listens when he needs to and obeys Mr. Adams. His teacher said he was a kind boy and friendly to all his classmates. He is also taking Hope Squad very seriously and helping whenever he sees a need. That part does not surprise me, because he is very much the same way at home.

Beckett: Where do I even start? Beckett is by far my most passionate and emotional child. Which can be good, but more often than not it results in some temper tantrums at home. However, at school he is the sweetest. He teacher went on and on for a good twenty minutes about home much she loved and appreciated Beckett in the classroom. He is kind to other students, respectful to her and is always dependable. She said how good of a heart he has and how good natured he is. I was floored. Academically, Beckett is sharp as a whip. His reading is wonderful and he is testing at a fourth grade level in math. Mrs. Hart said when he was absent the class couldn't figure out a math problem and one student said, "I bet if Beckett was here, he would know the answer." Years ago as he started speech, someone told me that he would probably struggle through life. I am so happy to report they were wrong.

Cache: Little chatty Cache is really blossoming this year and it is a wonder to watch. Socially, Cache has always been fine. This year is no different, but he is learning to control his urges to talk and when to talk. Its monumental. He loves kindergarten and is soaking up all the information like a little sponge. Math is great and he practices for fun at home in his little notebook. But reading...he really took off. He is reading at a 1.5. Kindergarten kids are expected to read at 0.5. He is testing a whole grade level above where he needs to be. He is kind in class and helps our neighbor Owen, who has some physical limits. He is witty and just a joy to be around.

I am so proud of my kids. Its great to hear they are doing so well in school, but I love hearing how well behaved they are from each individual teacher. They are each so kind and respectful and are having zero disciplinary issues. My mom always tells me I'm doing a good job, but its really great to hear it from an outside source.

No comments: