Sunday, February 3, 2019

Baptism Week

Beckett got baptized this week. It was a special special day, but it took a little bit to get there. On Monday, Beckett decided to lie about feeling sick so he could stay home from school. You have to understand that the flu is running rampant right now. So when he told me he felt sick, I kept him home. After I dropped the brothers off at school and had an extra minute to interrogate Beckett, I quickly realized he doped me. He was feeling fine. So instead of having a nice relaxing day like he anticipated, he got a work day with Mom. And he picked the wrong day to fake being sick. Mondays are known as "Mom clean Monday" meaning everything needs to be cleaned to Moms standards. So he got to do the laundry, wash dishes, clean out the pantry, clean bathrooms, etc. He told me more than once, "I didn't know how hard you worked at home." If anything, he appreciates me a little bit more.

Tuesday went off without a hitch, but Wednesday was a different story. Beckett woke up legitimately  sick. I took one look at him and knew something was wrong. I put my hand on his hand and the fever confirmed it. He was sick. I had this gut wrenching feeling and I knew he had the flu. If there is one thing I have learned to trust, its my mothers intuition. So, I called the doctor and the test confirmed it even further, Beckett had Influenza A. He said Beckett needed to be fever free for 24 hours to be considered not contagious and that the prospect of the baptism was pretty grim.

Beckett came home devastated and crocodile tears rolled down his checks whenever we talked about it. Later as he calmed down, he told me that he prayed to be healed enough to be able to be baptized. My heart broke a little bit, mainly because my faith wasn't as strong as his, and I prayed that his prayers would be answered.

Sure enough, they were. By Friday he was feeling great. Problem was, Scott was not. He picked up a head cold from work and it put him out of commission. We discussed it and came to the conclusion that Scott would power through Saturday if I would let him sleep and not be cranky with him Friday. (Which I tend to do when he's sick.) We agreed and I got to work while he slept off the cold. There were a lot of things that I didn't do through out the week because I thought the baptism would be postponed. But when we decided we would be able to do it, all those things came crashing down. I had to clean the house...like really clean it...mop the floors, vacuum the fans, clean the bathrooms, put away painting supplies and disinfectant the home as to not get any visitors sick. I had to get Becketts Book of Mormon embossed, food ordered and bought, buy Cache new pants and still take care of the kids at home. We didn't decide until about 11am that we would do the baptism, so I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, but with the power of prayer I got it all done. And Scott was able to sleep of the cold and feel a million times better for the baptism.

Saturday came and we were ready. The day was just awesome. I am so proud of Beckett. He doesn't like to be the center of attention, but he handled it like a champ. Scott was also a champ and powered through his cold and gave his son the best possible experience that he could. One of my favorite moments of the day was watching Beckett come out of the water. He took a huge breath and let out the most wonderful sigh. It was priceless.

Beckett is the sweetest spirit. He stands true to what he believes and likes to do good. He is funny and smart and so so so silly. He is really starting to be a time stickler and hates to be late, especially when it affects him directly. Case in point...this morning he was asked to be a few minutes early to church so he could sit on the stand. He was completely ready to go...breakfast eaten, dressed, shoes on and hair combed a whole hour before church. And reminded me every ten minutes home much longer we had until it was time to go. He is just he best little man.







Also, another little thing I want to remember about this weekend is when I bore my testimony in church. As I spoke a bit about Beckett and the gift of the Holy Ghost, I looked at him and he was holding up a sign that said, "Why are you talking about me again?" Oh, he cracks me up.

It was a great weekend and I am so proud of the great young man he is.


No comments: