Saturday, November 5, 2016

BSU Getaway

This weekend, Scott and I enjoyed our first "just us" getaway since Tayden was born. For the past almost eight years, we have always had our kids with us. We've gone on a little trip here and there, but have always had at least one child with us. This weekend was our first chance to be completely alone for more than a couple of hours. And my first night without a child. It was wonderful. 

Before we left, Melissa-one of my closest friends, gave me the most sound advice I've ever been given. She told me that as mothers we want nothing more than our children to grow up and be responsible, law abiding, helpful and contributing citizens. We spend so much of our time and effort ensuring that to happen. And sometimes, not on purpose, more often than not-our marriages suffer because of it. Our marriages get put on the back burner. And then one day, your dreams come true and your kids leave the nest to become the people you so desperately wanted them to become. And while you were focusing so much on making sure those children could cope without you, you forgot to learn to cope without them. And you feel lost when they leave because you forgot to strengthen the foundation that would remain true and steady when everyone left...your marriage. But, if we take the time to routinely spent one on one time together with our spouse, when our children leave we will still feel whole. Because our other half will be right there, just as they always have been. 

This weekend could not have been more wonderful. I planned a trip to Boise to watch the BSU game as an early birthday present for Scott. We quite literally talked the whole way down, all during dinner, at the game, on our way back to the hotel and then into the night. It was calm, and peaceful and reminded me why I love this man so much. 


As we watched the game, I noticed someone familiar. It was Taydens second grade teacher, Mrs. Cousin. I ran down to her seat and asked if we could take a picture to send to Tayden. She was thrilled to do it and he sure got a kick out of it. 


We had a great trip. Now that we got a taste of what a kid-less trip is like, we'll be doing it again. I missed them fiercely, but knowing they were in good hands (thanks to our moms and sister) helped a lot. And putting Scott first and making our marriage a priority is beyond important. Plus, it was just so fun. Loving Scott is such a blessing. 



No comments: