Friday, June 3, 2016

Tonsils: Day 1

Tayden and Beckett got their tonsils removed this morning. And it went better than I expected. We started the day bright and early at 5:15. They weren't too happy about it, but had a change of heart once we got going. They had a sense of excitement that out weighted any nerves. They were brave and strong and did wonderfully well.


This picture makes me laugh. Apparently both were too busy watching some show and couldn't look at the camera for a picture.

They were chatty with the nurses, Beckett especially. They listened to instructions and did exactly what they needed to do. I was so incredibly proud. 

The procedures went flawlessly. Doctor Hanks said both sets of tonsils and adenoids were huge. I was under the impression that I would be with them as they went to sleep, but turns out I was wrong. I was a little worried they would freak out when they got wheeled back alone, but they both did great. Beckett held a thumbs up in the air the whole time he was wheeled back, it was the cutest thing. 

I was able to be there when they woke up. Beckett was first and was already awake by the time I got to him. He was weepy and really wanted the IV out of his hand. He needed lots of cuddles and kind words for a few minutes, which I was glad to give. I climbed up on his bed with him and held him close. Then he and I were wheeled back to the room together. And through his teary eyes, he told me, "Mom, you have to have a thumbs up while we ride." He makes me smile. 

Tayden was second. When I went back he was completely out. I watched him wake up, which was slowly. But he did fine. He didn't panic or cry. Just opened his eyes and looked around. He was awesome. Later in the car he told us, "You know when you are looking at one thing, but you actually see two things. But it's actually just the same thing. That's why I had to open my eyes so slowly." I love how he explained double vision. 

The nurses kept telling us how great they did. I didn't quite understand why they made such a big deal of it, until we passed a little girl coming out of it. She was doing alligator rolls and getting tangled up in the cords, then hitting her head on the bed. She was really struggling, which made me more impressed with my boys. 

We got home around 10:30 and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. But they did great. They ate, drank, and kept up on meds without any issue. They watched a few shows, sat outside for a little bit, wandered around the house and played with some goodies sent by their awesome Packard grandparents. Tayden was in an especially good mood all day and cuddled with Cache every chance he got so he could tell him all about his surgery. 




Scott even got in on the fun. 

Funny story about this picture. Tayden said to me, "Can I just be a little stinker and take a picture with the elephant dad made and pretend it was me." Of course, I did. 

Day one was much easier than I expected. I'm nervous it's the calm before the storm. I've heard a few days in are a little worse, especially as the wounds start to scab and then proceed to fall off. But I'm taking the first day as a victory and hoping the coming ones are just as great. 

No comments: