Saturday, May 21, 2016

Wormin'

When I was younger, I always went worming with my cousins. Its when you put a chemical solution on the ground called work squirm and the worms make their way to the surface, free for picking. Then you sale them to a local bait shop and have some mad cash to spend. I was telling the boys about it one day and they have been begging to do it ever since. So, we got the stuff and gave it a go. 

The first time we tried in cold weather and early evening/late afternoon, neither of which are good for worming. It did not yield one worm. And since we tried a couple other methods before the worm squirm, like dish soap, and didn't get anything-- I was convinced we didn't have any worms in our yard. 

I've never been so happy to wrong.

After talking to my Father in law, we decided to try our "garden". It was so wet and muddy that much of the water just sat on the dirt. We had over half our bucket mixed up, so we decided to try once more on the yard. We poured and waited. Nothing happened. Then a minute or two later, Scott said, "See!! I knew we had worms!" And just like that my boys had a new favorite hobby. 

They started picking worms right and left and had a blast doing it. I have good deer eyes, but Scott has good worm eyes! 










We only did two small patches and got a couple of good handfuls. It was a practice run, so we put them under the broken tramp (The wind took it the other day and bent it really bad...that's a story for another day) to keep them safe from the birds so we could pick them again later. 

Our bait shop buys them for $4.00 a pound. I'm hoping this turns into a fun summer job for the boys and they learn to work for a little extra cash. If not, it's still fun picking them. Being a boy mom is so fun. 








No comments: