Saturday, June 1, 2013

Peace at Home


In a few short months, we get to call this piece of land home. We are building a home in Las Vegas and couldn't feel better about it. It happened fairly quickly, but both Scott and I feel like this is the best decision for our family.

It all started when we got an email from our landlords about our upcoming lease. It doesn't end for a full year, but they felt it necessary to give us plenty of time to make our decision. Neither of their offers were beneficial to us and I went into hysterics. We've been floating down here for two years and I am ready for some stability. Craving it actually. So, Scott and I got thinking about it and he presented me with the idea of buying a home.

I immediately hated the idea. I had no intentions on stay in LV. In fact, there were days I was dying to get out. My heart is in Idaho, and it probably always will be, but it was holding me back to accepting the Lords plan for me. As badly as I want to move home, I feel even stronger that we are supposed to be in Las Vegsas. It took me two years to admit it, but now that I have come to terms with it, I have the peace I have been searching for.

It's funny how that happens. I was searching for peace in the way I thought I wanted it, but found it in the way the Lord knew I needed it. He is amazing like that. And it makes me even more grateful for my beliefs. 

So, after Scott and I prayed and pondered about it. We decided to take the leap. The market in Nevada is crazy. 'Used' homes are super expensive and are immediately eaten up by investors. Leaving next to nothing for families like ours. We looked into building and were surprised with what we found.

Things are done a little different in Vegas. The homes and land are a package deal. If you see a model you like, then you can only build on certain pieces of property and if you like the property you can only build certain models of homes. That makes building very affordable and in most cases a better deal then purchasing a home off the market. We fell in love with the first set we saw. It tugged at my heart and I knew we were supposed to be there. It just felt like home. We talked about it and decided to go for it, but ran into some complications on the way. So, we set out on a new search and found a few homes we really liked, but again ran into some minor bumps like outrageous city taxes. Scott had mentioned how frustrating it is to feel so right about something, but not have it work out. So we asked for help.

The next day, our luck changed. One thing after another fell into place and we were on our way to building a home. We got the last lot of the first wave in the community that we loved. We feel very strongly that the Lord has a hand in our life and is looking out for our best interest. This is where we are supposed to be and it is completely evident. It doesn't change the fact that I fully intend on getting back to Idaho. It doesn't change my yearning to be closer to family. But it does change my outlook and perspective. And most of all it gives me great peace. I wish it didn't. I wish my wants were the same as Heavenly Fathers. But they are not. And I am learning to trust his plan. And in doing so--I find a whole new level of comfort. 

I am excited for this journey. And I am excited to have stability, not only for me, but mostly for my children. Scotts job has alot of opportunities available right now that would be hard to find anywhere else. The experience he is gaining is priceless and will hopefully allow up to get home in the future. But for now, this is home. And I am finally accepting it. 


6 comments:

Collin, Traci, Cam, and Alyssa said...

So exciting!!

The Gray Gang said...

Very exciting. I know your feelings all to well. Having been away for 6 years now, I still long to be in Idaho. However, as I reflect on the experiences we have had and the friendships we have made, we never would have been able to have them in Idaho. Good luck on your build. I love reading your blog and oddly, I feel very connected to you as I feel we have gone through many of the same things,

Taryn said...

Thanks for your beautiful words! I needed to hear them! And I am so excited for you to have a place of your own. I ache for that day!!!

Lindsey Rasmussen said...

That's exciting!

Erin_C said...

I'm happy for you! And like you, my heart will always be in Idaho. It is such a hard thing to be away. And it seems like it should get easier, but I'm not there yet. Maybe one day? But what a blessing to have roots we love and wings we can find peace and happiness in.

PS. The idea of building a house totally stresses me out! I'm so indecisive, and you have to make a million choices. haha! Good luck!

Amanda said...

Oooh that is awesome! Enjoy the building process, that's so your element:-) (organized and creative!!)