About 3 years ago Tayden took particular preference to a white doggie blanket. A preference soon turned into an attachment and before we knew it, Tayden had a blanket. I never wanted my kids to be attached to any specific item, but after seeing how great it was for T, I didn't mind. It helped him sleep, made him feel safe, dried up tears, cheered him up and so on and so on. In fact, I loved that he had his very own blanket.
I decided it was so beneficial, that I made Beckett one right before his first birthday. And I started using it as a transitional object as I weaned him. It was great. He wasn't as attached to it as Tayden was, but it was still his blanket and he slept with it every night.
Tayden is completely over it now. It makes the perfect car blanket, so we take it with us on road trips. I keep it on his bed, but he rarely uses it at night anymore. And the times he does is because his spider man blanket is too hot. Beckett still likes his, but by no means needs it. More often than not he covers his pillow with it to sleep on, or watches TV with it. He naps with it occasionally, but not consistently.
So, as Cache starting showing a liking for blankets, I was anxious to get his special one done. My mom and I stayed up one night and whipped it up. The first thing I did the next day was wrap him up in it. And you better believe he is napping and sleeping with it every night. My doing of course.
(Becketts blanket is on top, then Taydens and Caches on bottom)
As silly as it is, these blankets mean so much to me. They are a symbol of my kids childhood and innocence. These blankets were a big part of their lives and it breaks my heart a little as they become more independent and leave the blankets behind. I'm not sure if I am ready to let them grow up.
4 comments:
So sweet! I love Cache;s blanket!
Those are so cute. Alyssa had tons of adorable blankets people made for her but she got attached to an ugly hand-me-down one...what do ya do? I agree, it is nice when they are attached to a blanket!
We were just talking about this at GNO last night. Carly still likes to sleep with her towel, but other than that he is pretty much a side character in our lives instead of playing a staring role. Makes me sad. I was trying so hard to get her to stop taking it everywhere and now I'm like, "Don't you want your towel?!" haha.
Sad isn't it! So, I'm curious. Did you find a renter? I sure hope so,
Post a Comment