My mom and I took the kids to Brooklyns Playground to enjoy some lunch at the park, a little playtime and...Taydens first stitches. He was running up some steps when his foot slipped and he hit the edge of a stair with his head. A river of blood gushed down his face and I knew it was bad. Luckily, my mom had a blanket that we used for the picnic and we immediately applied pressure to stop the bleeding. There was a nice man who saw everything and grabbed his first aide kit from the car, gave us some clean gauze and we were off to sew him up.
Thankfully, one of my closest friends dad is a nurse practitioner. I practically grew up in their house, so I trust him with my life. The minute I knew he needed stitches we called Brad for his steady hand. I knew he would take care of us and do a good job with Tayden. It was so comforting having someone I know take care of him. It didn't feel like a doctor visit, rather a chat with a friend who happened to have a needle and thread in my sons head. I am so grateful for Brad and the phenomenal job he did.
Tayden was a champ. He quit crying quickly after it happened and only started again during the shots. Which, by the way, was awful. He cried pretty hard and I had to hold his shaking hands down while he was being injected with the numbing shot. Not my favorite part. But, after the sting went away he calmed right down and didn't move a muscle during the stitches. Wait, I take that back. At one point he did try to shoot me with his spiderman web. Although it got a laugh out of him, we had to have him stop because it was making him wiggle. He did great. I am so proud of him. I couldn't believe how wonderful he did.
Warning, the picture below is kind of yucky!
This is right after he got it cleaned up and the blood washed off his face. It looked so much better after it got cleaned. I thought it was going to be so much worse. Although, it was only a layer away from the skull.
And 11 sutures later..
He was all fixed up.
Did I mention this happened right before nap time? Beckett slept through the whole thing. I was so relieved to have my mom there to help me. I don't know how I would have handled it without her.
After it was all said and done, we took Tayden to get a milkshake. He picked M&M and couldn't have been happier.
As sad as this was, Tayden did great. And on the plus side, he proved Scott and I right.
We knew this little dare devil wouldn't make it to five without stitches or a broken bone.
2 comments:
My dad is a pro that's for sure. So glad he could help! Tayden's a champ!!
What a champ!!
Post a Comment