Scott, Tayden, Beckett, and I had the opportunity to participate in trek last week. Scott and were a Ma and Pa, and the boys when as participants. It was extrememly hard, but so rewarding.
Scott and I had been attending planning meetings for months, so watching it come together the morning of gear drop off, was so impressive. We had about 400 people from the Stake attend, so it was no small feat to plan.
Trek itself was difficult. The kids didn't find out what family they would be placed in until they arrived at the trekking facility. Once split into families, they packed their carts and started the trek. It was two days of walking and hiking, each day about 8 miles. It was not just walking through the meadow either. There were plenty of legs that were hiking and walking straight uphill, crossing water, and steep downhill straits. It was more challenging than I anticipated.
However, along the way were different activities and stops for the kids to participate in. We made flags for our carts, did team building games, listening to speakers, and had time to reflect on our time. Perhaps one of the neatest experiences was the womens pull. The women pulled the cart on their own up a hill, as the men looked on. It was heavy, so hard, but so rewarding.
One of the funniest times, was when Scott and I set up our tent. We didn't set it up before hand and just assumed it would be fine. As I watched him set it up, I was sure hoping for a second level! Everyone joked that they liked our barbie tent, and truth be told, it felt like a barbie tent. Trying to change our clothes at was hilarious. We were laying down trying to shimmy in and out of everything. We worked up a sweat! From working and laughing so hard. It was ridiculous, but a fond memory I'll hold on to forever.
Tayden and Becektt were in our camp. We didn't see during the day, but we got to see them every night at dinner. It was fun to check in on them and hear how their days went. One evening the kids learned a line dance and two step, and Scott and I joined in on the fun. We had fun dancing along the kids and watching them try something out of their comfort zone, but have a good time regardless.
Trek was hard, but the longer the memory marinates, the sweeter it becomes. I'm grateful for the chance I had to go with Scott and watch my boys do their own hard things.

No comments:
Post a Comment