Friday, September 10, 2021

Choke Cherries

We have an abundant resource of choke cherries in Ashton. I haven't ever had the desire or knowledge to pick them, but after hearing Dave and Cheryl talk about them and watching our neighbors pick them, we decided to give it a try. The boys had a blast picking them. I only have a few pictures of them picking, but rest assured everyone had a good time picking over the weekend. We ended up with three gallon bags full of them. 



Beckett was my big helper when it came to processing the berries and making syrup.



We ended up with the most beautiful purple syrup. However, I'm not sure how it tastes. Since getting COVID, my taste has still been a little off. As we were making the syrup, I couldn't believe the amount of sugar that was going into it. Beckett was my taster and kept saying it needed more sugar, but it tasted awfully sweet to me! So the jury is out whether its sweet enough or not. I figure I can add sugar to each jar after we open it if we need to. Maybe one day my taste will return to normal and I'll learn to trust my taste buds again. 


Sweet enough or not, it sure is pretty and it was fun to pick something off our land and use it! I think we stumbled upon a new family tradition! 

 

No comments: