This weekend was busy! We celebrated Kyles 6th birthday and Easter and enjoyed General Conference.
Kyles birthday was great. I was nervous I was going to let him down because his expectations were so high. However, it turned out to be everything he was hoping for. He took treats to school, had a party and told everyone he met that day it was his birthday. The party was insane. We had ten kindergarteners, Cache, Beckett and two of his friends and Tayden and one of his friends. 16 kids total. Kyle loved having the older kids there, it made him feel so special. Plus, they were a huge help to me since Scott had to work. The kids made ninja headbands, sword fought, played "ninja, ninja, robber" and did all the traditional birthday party stuff. It was an exhausting success and a huge reminder why I don't do parties often.
Easter and conference went hand in hand this year. Easter Sunday fell on conference weekend and that is just how I like it. We spent the weekend listening to the General Authorities and filling our spiritual cups. This is the third conference in a row that has been virtual due to COVID, but I heard so many messages of hope that it was hard to feel too upset about it. Especially when you have dogs to cuddle.
Easter was great this year. Because of Kyles birthday, I had put off Easter preparations until the very last minute. We're talking until the night before. Scott and I went out after the Saturday afternoon sessions and fought the crowd of procrastinators and walked away with less than we anticipated. As we laid in bed that night, we decided to talk about The Resurrection before we did any Easter gifts. It turned out to be a beautiful moment with our kids. We bore testimony, talked about the Great Plan of Happiness, the gifts and blessings that The Resurrection provide, and the love of our Savior and Heavenly Father. Then we handed out our small gifts- a shirt and a couple pieces of candy. And you know what, the kids were fine! More than fine, they had the true spirit of Easter in their hearts. Scott and I decided a new tradition had been born and we would not commercialize Easter, instead focus of the empty tomb. I am so grateful we had that experience and I am looking forward to years to come.
We went to Packards for Easter dinner and spent time with Grandma, Grandpa and Ashley. The weather was beautiful and the boys enjoyed time jumping on the tramp, playing at the park and the egg hung that Ashley planned. It was the perfect ending to a beautiful day.
This weekend was busy, but so so good. We are blessed beyond measure!
No comments:
Post a Comment