Monday, May 14, 2018

Story of a Stone

Last Tuesday started like every other Tuesday. Older kids to school, Cache to preschool and Kyle and I to the church for my high fit class. After a bar class, that is geared towards working the back, I was feeling quite sore. But nothing out of the ordinary. 

Wednesday I woke up feeling generally unwell and kind of miserable. Figuring I was just sore from class and possibly getting a touch of a cold, I doped up on some Tylenol and cold medicine and went on with my day. 

Thursday morning around 1:00 am, I woke up with a strange pain between my sternum and belly button. It came in waves all day long. It was so bad, I kept my older kids to stay home and help. They were absolutely awesome. Beckett made me breakfast in bed with this sweet note. They got Cache from preschool on their bikes. They tidied the house and fed their brothers. And they kept checking on me making sure I was alright and whatnot. 











I gathered myself together and hauled everyone to Taydens baseball game that night. I tried to ignore the pain and watch the game, but was slowly falling apart. The minute I got home, I burst into tears and sobbed with each wave of pain. It was awful. Scott got me something to eat and Tylenol and sent me on my way to bed. He laid with me until I calmed down and soon I drifted to sleep, only to wake up a few hours later. The pain quit coming in waves and was nonstop. It had radiated to my lower back and was completely relentless. I attempted to wake Scott, but he was so peaceful I decided I could handle it a few more minutes. Minutes turned into about 40 minutes later and suddenly the pain completely subsided. I drew a breath of relief and climbed back into bed and slept until the morning. 

I fully expected to wake up feeling new. Sadly, I didn’t. I was still sore and feeling unwell. I agreed to go the doctor where they ran urine and blood tests. Turns out I had kidney stones. After a CT scan it was determined I had passed one kidney stone (Thursday night agony marathon) and still have  a 5 mm one in my right kidney. The CT scan also showed a spot on my right renal cortex that will require a ultrasound to determine exactly what it is. 

I went home, took some pain meds and slept most the weekend away. Word got out how sick I had been and my neighbors jumped into help, offering sweet gifts and dinner. They really have saved the day.



It was an awful weekend and one I don’t look forward to reliving as the other kidney stone makes it’s move. But it sure helps being surrounded by good people! 

No comments: