Friday, February 13, 2015

You're not the Boss

A few weeks ago I shared a story about my sweet oldest son. Here's another one. But not so sweet. 

Tayden was outside playing with his brothers. He was swinging a shovel when our neighbor came out and told him to stop before someone got hurt. His reply, "Well, you're not the boss of me." 

Ah, stinker. He's six and thinks he knows everything. He was embarrassed as I spoke with him about respecting adults. He knew it was not the best choice and told me he said it under his breath so she wouldn't hear, but she did. And he wasn't quite sure how to handle it. Not all adults are good people, so I don't want him thinking he has to listen to all adults, but he needs to have respect for others. 

He is learning about the world around him and feeling his way around. It's been an interesting challenge for me to help him navigate as he turns into a big kid. He might need a reminder now and then, but he's doing well. And I'm proud as ever. 

No comments: