I've noticed a bit of a problem arising at the P house. Beside the fact that both my boys are deviating from our normal sleep schedule and trying to make their own. UGH! But that is a whole other post entirely. The problem, well its not even a problem really, but rather a challenge we seem to be facing these days....boredom! With the heat, 110*+ these days, we are inside ALOT. The heat alone is not that big of a deal, we have air conditioned places we can go. But the heat teamed with an ever growing mind of a two year old-that is where the problem lies.
Tayden is in major need of some new things to do. Toys all day are not cutting it, and I am not a fan of too much TV. So, today I made a decision. We are going to do one craft/activity/learning game/etc a day. Something out of the norm and something to push that little brain of his. Today, we painted a wooden snake.
He was concentrating so hard! He loved it. This kept him busy for a good 45 minutes, and then later in the evening when he wanted to finish it. It was amazing. And yes, we paint in our unders at home. Mind you, its hot. I tried to get a good picture of the finished project. But he was having too much fun playing with his new snake and was not holding still longer than he had too.
In luau of our new goal, I went out today and bought a few supplies to add to my extremely small kid craft stuff.
I fully intend to make a binder of different activities and coloring sheets. I went to our sweet library and got a load of books to help me find new ideas and things to do to keep my bright boy engaged. I am seriously so excited.
So, let me ask you. What are your essentials to keep your kiddies busy? Do you have any suggestions or ideas to help me get this project started?
Let me hear it!
5 comments:
We do a lot of crafts at our house too! We go to the dollar store a lot and find some good cheap crafts. I used to hate indoor play areas, but during the winter we tend to hit them up for entertainment. Sorry I'm not much help:)
Great idea! Just don't let the craft box anywhere near their reach! I don't think it's too early to do a little school work. Print some writing lines and write the ABC or his name on them, then put it in a plastic sleeve and give him a dry eared marker. Even if he doesn't do it perfect it gets him use seeing the letters on a page. Finger painting is always a big thing, but the kids like to do it with pudding too!
Great idea! I used to use this website all of the time for the after school kids.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/
It looks like the website has been redone since I last used it, but I could usually find some fun and inexpensive but educational crafts or activities on there!
Also, I think it would be fun to grow a few things in a paper cup or small planter (or something along those lines) in a window sill. That could also be a daily thing T could check on, water, etc. (might get messy though)
Good luck!
thats such a good idea! I will be copying you . . . in the winter :) but thats really awesome. I'm all excited now! haha.
Throw in a field trip day and a cooking day. kids love that and field trips can be cheap and way fun too. How fun! we had a RS meeting and a lady told us about the ABC's of summer or what ever you want and you learn a new letter each day of the week. Way fun. We also loved playing games on the internet this summer. Seasemestreet.com is our favorite site.
Post a Comment